Thursday 15 July 2010

Sounds of the Deep


Here is the animated sequence at its final stage.


I feel I've reached a level I'm satisfied with for the purposes of the project, as I think it successfully communicates the narrative I intended and also shows a variety of the techniques I wanted to explore. In my next post, I will break down the sequence and explain how it was all put together.
I have also posted the video on Captain Mo's Facebook page, found here:


I am requesting any suggestions for how the movie can be improved. The responses I have gained so far indicate that I should:
  • Make the spotlight inside Cranky more yellow, as it is in the ocean
  • Apply a different style of transition to the frame of the poster in the opening - rather than fading, it should perhaps wipe away in a similar way to the waves.
I will take note of all responses that I receive, and if time allows at the end of the project then I will make these changes. At the moment, I need to focus on building a soundtrack, starting the merchandise inspired by the film, and finishing the written component of the project.

Due to time limitations, I hope to use some existing sound effects for my movie in addition to the ones I record myself. Ideally, I would have recorded the entire soundtrack myself but I think I would be unable to do this and edit them together in the time remaining for the project. I also researched using music, and in particular a track called "Sea Within a Sea" by The Horrors. I found an application form on the record label's website asking permission to use their music for a student project, but the form indicated that it could take several months to get a definite response or confirmation. I found the application here:


Yesterday I visited the Edinburgh College of Art sound library and borrowed a variety of CDs of relevant atmospheric drones and rich environments to use as a base for my soundtrack. I have also recorded my own sound effects, and will be combining all of these together to create an involving accompaniment to the animation.

1 comment:

  1. Suggestions!
    The hook thing coming to grab Mo from the water, I think that was a little slow, maybe once it grabs hold it can drag Mo down a little quicker.

    The canonball. Why did you aim it high? I wondered about it being aimed at the lantern itself to knock it into the mouth of Cranky. But perhaps that is not very logical...?

    Otherwise it is all really beautiful, looking forward to hearing the soundtrack you construct to go with it. The sequence moving between the sea and under the sea is really nice and works so well.

    ReplyDelete