Sunday 4 July 2010

Cranky Sees the Light

I have finally started working towards my final film! On Thursday I started experimenting with Cranky and his inner workings. For his top layer, I used a scan of a fabric I printed with a wave design in adhesive and gold foil, and altered its colours and contrasts using Photoshop. I liked the idea of using curling waves as his 'skin,' giving a suggestion of his camouflage tactics in sea.
When it came to animating Cranky, I used a solid silhouette for a base layer, and this acted as a parent layer that I attached the subsequent layers to. I added two layers for his inner workings, both of which were animated in their own compositions to create the movement I wanted. This involved sorting each moving element, such as the cogs and wheels, onto their own individuals layers and giving them rotational movement. These were saved in RGB+Alpha, giving them their transparent areas, and brought into the final composition. I was then able to add his top layer and finally, a spotlight.
I wanted to use the spotlight to illuminate Cranky's inner workings gradually, and altered the opacity of the top layer of skin to create the dark contrast. I think this has been a very successful experiment, but I want to adjust various elements to make it perfect. I would like to add more movement to his inner layers, and I will also narrow the beam of the spotlight to show a smaller area as the light moves around. The light is meant to be coming from a lantern Cranky has swallowed, so the movement should be more jerky as it rattles around inside him. I may experiment with this idea, as I rather like the smooth movement the light has at the moment. I may adjust my story to better suit the most effective outcome of these trials.

1 comment:

  1. That's a really nice experiment, I love the way his innards are revealed to us, it just looks so pretty. While the light is nice, it just seems too smooth when it shows the inside. I think you should experiment more with the light, I think you could do a really nice job and get it to light up wonderfully with the lantern falling in. Especially since it doesn't have to fall straight down, it can bounce all over the place. A less smooth light moment would really suit the and connect well with the mechanicals inside Cranky.
    I love what you have done though. Good luck with your final run! :D

    ReplyDelete