Thursday 8 July 2010

Descending

This is a work in progress. The sequence I am currently animating is a descent into the ocean, when Captain Mo is being dragged down to the watery depths. I am slowly building all of the elements I need into the sequence, and this footage shows the composition at its current stage.

So far, the sequence features:
  • A watery backdrop. This a video I took of some layered fabric, which I attached to a window blind and gradually drew upwards whilst gently rippling it to give the swaying effect. I used adjustment layers to alter the brightness and contrast, and the hue.
  • Piles of detritus at the sides, which I will continue building up. On the left is a texture taken from a photograph to create a rocky edge, as if Mo is falling into an underwater cavern. I will add a similar shape on the right. I used a 'Hard Light' filter to blend it into the background. The shapes on the right include scans of my laser cut samples, such as a lamp and some cogs, and the negative shapes from my finished pieces. I also added a composition featuring a sketch of another mechanical beast, perhaps an earlier model of Cranky. I animated it in a similar manner, with a moving jaw and rotating gills and eye. The bottom of the cavern was created using a bubble texture from a photograph taken at the beach.
  • A squid drifting past. I took an inky drawing of a squid and added a "multiply" filter to make it look more at home in the water.
  • An ominous darkness. This was created using a solid black layer, to which I added a rectangular mask with feathered edges. I then moved this whole layer upwards to create an ascending darkness. Watching it back in Quicktime, I now realize I need to adjust the timing of this layer to make the animation run more smoothly. The footage of the fabric ends before that the darkness has covered the screen, so I will need to alter this.
  • Cranky's lure. I used the same spotlight effects as I used when Cranky swallowed the lantern to illuminate the darkness. I will add other broken elements of Cranky, such as his gears and sparking battery and his head at the bottom of the ocean.

When we reach the ocean floor, the video continues to run with very little action. This is because there are several more elements to be added before the sequence is finished.



The next stage will be to finish building up all of the layers of detritus and broken Cranky bits, and to create the Gates of the Underworld on the ocean floor. Finally, Mo's ship will be added.

Sorry Captain Mo - keep fighting against your Fate, and one day you may reach new seas.

1 comment:

  1. Looks great, all you need is that haunting organ music and it'll be set to go. Really nice.

    ReplyDelete