Thursday 29 July 2010

Reflections


In the Masters Proposal for this project, I stated that I wanted to create an outcome combining a "juxtaposition of old techniques and new technologies, cross-discipline design and whimsical storytelling." (Holwill, C., 14-04-2010) I believe I have managed to accomplish this in the film I have produced.

I enjoyed creating a film inspired by textiles and drawings with a playful narrative, and subsequently producing merchandise and textiles inspired by this film. I used old techniques, such as drawings and screen printing, combined with modern technologies such as laser cutting and computer-aided design. I also mixed disciplines, by introducing footage of textiles and scans of screen prints into an animated environment using Adobe After Effects, and then extracted images from this animation and applied them to t-shirts and stationery. I believe this is an innovative approach to the potential applications that these disciplines can offer.

This project has the potential for future development. Originally I had hoped to experiment with a wider variety of techniques which would exploit the capabilities of textiles and introduce them into an animated environment. My project became more focused, and I decided to restrict my research to only one method - creating and compositing moving imagery using Adobe After Effects. This enabled me to gain "a more comprehensive mastery" in my selected technique. (Holwill, C., 14-04-2010) Adobe After Effects allowed me to build upon my existing experience in Photoshop, and create a 'collage' of imagery and real footage, which could be animated and manipulated, thus creating the desired aesthetic. This layering of drawings, printed textiles, laser cutting scans and footage of real fabric moving and rippling related directly to the juxtaposition of techniques and ideas that I had intended to produce from the outset. Although the final film was produced using a computer-based programme, the layering effect had similarities to screen printing and collage. Layers were built up, added to and embellished, creating the final film.

As stated in my Masters Proposal, the areas of innovation I hoped to explore in my project were:

· Combining traditional techniques with modern technology
· Combining animation and textile disciplines." (Holwill, C., 14-04-2010)

On reflection, I believe both of these aims have been achieved.

The merchandise range of t-shirts and stationery I designed is an effective continuation of the narrative, expressing it in a new and perhaps more commercial context.

For future work, I would continue telling Captain Mo's story, and the additional fearsome foes he encounters. Each of these monsters would be expressed in a new technique or aesthetic. I would also continue to develop my range of merchandise.

No comments:

Post a Comment