Thursday 13 May 2010

A Beginning


A weatherworn theatre set from the 1920's.
A rusty mechanical beast from the depths of Atlantis.
A stalwart captain with a woeful tale of misfortune.

This is the epic of Captain Mo.

"The Underworld Likes Captain Mo" is a short story I wrote when I was in Primary School, which I have chosen to use as the narrative behind my Masters project at Heriot-Watt University. The course, Textile Innovation and New Applications, inspired me to pursue a new direction for my work with textiles. I have always had a keen interest in animation, and therefore decided to create a cross-discipline outcome through the development of a short stop-motion animation, created almost entirely from textiles and related processes. The project gradually developed into an inventive combination of laser cutting, screen printing, fabric manipulation and shadow puppetry to create an innovative and experimental outcome.

This blog aims to document my work as it develops, from story-boarding and sketchbooks to sampling and final outcomes.


No comments:

Post a Comment